1. Brief about PACAM
Palliative Care is an approach that improves the quality of life of patients and their families facing the problem associated with life-threatening illness, through the prevention and relief of suffering by means of early identification and impeccable assessment and treatment of pain and other problems, physical, psychosocial and spiritual. The WHO public health model is part of the public health strategy for developing palliative care in resource limited settings. It highlights four key components which must be addressed:
- Malawi has a Population of over 13.6 million people.
- 85% living in rural areas :
- There is little access to palliative care in rural.
- HIV prevalence among 15-49 yrs is 10.6%
- About a million people are living with HIV of which
- 10% are children.
- 68 000 HIV deaths occurred in 2010
- Estimated 25,000 people are living with Cancer.
- Estimated 9000 cancer deaths per year.
Continue browsing our website to learn more or download a brief write-up (pdf), here.