The Palliative Care Association of Malawi supports, develop and promote affordable and culturally appropriate palliative care in Malawi.
1. Promoting the availability of palliative care in Malawi for all in need, including those living with HIV/AIDS and / or cancer.
2. Encouraging the government of Malawi to support affordable and appropriate palliative care which is to be incorporated into the whole spectrum of health care services.
3. Promoting the availability of palliative care drugs for all in need.
4. Encouraging the establishment of palliative care services in all districts in Malawi.
5. Promoting palliative care training programmes suitable for Malawi.
6. Developing and promoting quality standards in palliative care training and service provision, for different levels of health professionals and care providers, in line with the African Palliative Care Association.
Values and Guiding Principles
To always strive for excellence
Achieving organizational objectives through partnerships
To be result oriented
To always promote equity
Driven by compassion
Palliative Care Association of Malawi Strategic drivers
- To Increase awareness of the need for palliative care and to address the lack of understanding of palliative care at all levels.
- Lack of commitment to provide palliative care by other stakeholders
- Addressing economic conditions
- Organisational growth and success.
Priority Areas for Strategic Goals
- Palliative Care Development
- Resource Development/Sustainability
- Advocacy, Marketing
- Organisational Capacity
- Networking and Partnerships
Strategic Goals for 2011 – 2015
- To develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to promote PC delivery in Malawi.
- To develop and implement a strategy to capacitate PACAM to mobilise resources for sustainability.
- To enhance and expand advocacy and marketing for PC services.
- To develop and implement a strategy to improve and enhance the organisational capacity of PACAM.
- To strengthen public and private networking and partnerships.